The best plants for river rock are those that can withstand longer periods of time without water – for example, cactus, succulents, etc., that don’t need moisture around their stem.
River rocks are common in the garden and attractive when planted in a river or stream bed. They are also a great addition to any garden where water is not an issue.
Many different types of plants are suitable plants for the river rock garden. Let’s look at some of which are listed below.
A List Of The Best Plants For River Rock
- Eucalyptus Trees. Eucalyptus trees are often used to make firewood and are also known for producing oil. If you want to grow plants that you can use for firewood as well as make your own oil for cooking and other purposes, then eucalyptus trees may be an excellent choice for you. These trees are drought tolerant and will give you the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of an outdoor garden.
- Lavender. Lavender is a perennial plant that has been used as an herb for thousands of years. It was originally used in cooking, and is now used to make fragrances. It is an excellent plant for the garden because it does not require much water, and grows well in full light conditions.
- Plantain. Plantains are known for their ability to help with digestion, especially when they are cooked. They are easy to grow and do not need much water. If you want to grow a plant that is also a food crop, then plantain can be an excellent choice for you.
- Soybeans. Soybeans are often grown in gardens as a way to provide food for people. They are easy to grow and will produce a large number of beans for you.
- Tomatoes. Tomatoes are a favorite for most people. They can grow anywhere and do not need much water. They are a great choice for a garden if you want to grow food that you can eat right away.
- Watermelon. Watermelons are known for their ability to grow quickly and produce a lot of fruit. They do not need much water and they can grow in almost any type of soil. Growing watermelon is very easy and can be done by just about anyone.
- Herbs. Herbs are great to grow because they require little space and produce a lot of food. There are many different types of herbs with a variety of flavors that you can grow and use for cooking. You can grow your own herbs to use at home or sell them at the market.
- Peppers. Peppers are a favorite for most people. They can grow anywhere and do not need much water. Peppers are easy to grow, and they can be grown for food or for decoration. Growing peppers can also be a fun activity for kids.
- Fruit trees. Fruit trees are very popular and they do not need much space. They produce a lot of fruit and will last for a long time. Growing fruit trees can be fun for kids and they are a great way to teach them about gardening and nature.
- Roses. Roses are a very popular plant, and they require little space. They can be planted in containers, and they are easy to grow. They can produce a range of different colors of flowers that you can use in your garden or your house. Growing roses is a great way to help your children understand nature.
- Citrus. Citrus is another favorite for most people. They require little space, and they can grow anywhere. They are easy to grow and they are a great way to teach your children about nature.
- Bamboo. Bamboo is another favorite for most people. It requires little space, and it can grow anywhere. There are many benefits to using bamboo, but the main one is that bamboo is very long-lasting. It is strong and durable. It can be used to make many things like furniture, fences, and even a house. It can also be used to improve your soil structure for planting other plants such as palm trees and ferns.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can perennials grow river rock?
River rock is usually a type of limestone and has a tendency to crack and crumble. It is often found in the river bed, and in places where the water can erode it. Perennials may have trouble growing in this type of rock, but not all perennials are suitable for growing in river rock.
Can you plant hostas in river rock?
Yes, but they will not thrive as well as they would in a different type of soil.
Can you plant grass over river rock?
There is no need to remove the river rock. Grass can be planted over it. If you have any concerns about your local council's permission, please refer to the council's website.
What shrubs can grow in rocks?
The most common plants that can be grown in rocks are of the cactus family. The rock cactus, also known as an aloe, can grow well in a rocky soil and has long spines which are used to help it grip onto the surface of the rock.
Will river rocks grow lilies?
Yes. Lilies will grow in rocks and river stones. However, the pH of river stones is slightly alkaline and is not suitable for most lilies. For this reason, we recommend that you use river stones in the spring when they are still in a wet state and have not yet dried out.
Final Thoughts On The Best Plants For River Rock
As a summary of the best plants for river rock, remember you can only grow the plants that do not require too much moisture during their growth cycle. The above list will give you plenty of choices, from attractive plants to vegetables you can grow for your home use.
While at it, have fun gardening!