Do you have empty wine barrels that you want to turn into beautiful gardens around your home and wonder the best plants for wine barrels?
Wine barrels are great containers for plants. They are made of oak or other woods, usually with the intention of keeping wine fresh in a cool cellar. Wine barrels have two main purposes:
- They are attractive containers.
- They are used as a wine cellar.
Many people use wine barrels to create beautiful gardens around their homes. The key to growing plants successfully in barrels is to make sure the barrel has the right conditions. So, let’s start by looking at what makes a good wine barrel.
But, What Makes A Good Wine Barrel?
Wine barrels come in many different sizes, shapes, and materials. The main types are:
- French oak
- American oak
The Best Plants For Wine Barrels
The best plants for wine barrels include:
This is one of the easiest plants to grow inside a barrel. Use a well-draining potting mix and let the soil dry out thoroughly between waterings. Place in an area that will get bright, indirect sunlight.
You can grow asparagus fern inside a barrel as it is a sprawling shrub. It will produce small white or pinkish-white flowers and red berries. It does well in soil rich in organic matter and it is drought tolerant.
You can grow basil inside a wine barrel, but it needs plenty of sunlight, so you may need to consider moving the barrel outside in the summer.
These are easy to grow and require little care, as they need one inch of water a week. Just make sure you give them plenty of room to grow. If you have a large barrel, then you can grow blackberries inside the barrel.
Blueberries are a very popular choice for growing inside a wine barrel. You should give them plenty of room to grow and water them regularly. You need to grow two or more varieties for successful pollination.
This is a quick-growing plant that requires little care. You just need to water it once every week or two.
This is a great plant to grow inside a wine barrel. It can be planted in early spring or late fall, depending on what you prefer. It is a relatively difficult crop to grow at home, but it is also rewarding.
These are easy to grow, but they need plenty of light. They make a wonderful companion plant, are great for keeping pests away, and are also great for cooking.
These are easy to grow and will produce plenty of fruit. They can be grown as vining or bush.
You can grow cantaloupes inside a barrel. It will keep the fruit cool enough and the soil moist enough. They need plenty of room to sprawl, so be sure to provide a large barrel or transplant them when they become too big.
Carrots are a cool-weather crop that does well in hot weather, as long as you water them regularly. They do not need any special care and can be harvested at any size. Provide them with one inch of water a week and use well-draining soil.
Chard tolerates cool weather and heat. Plant it in nutrient-rich, well-drained soil and provide 1-1.5 inches of water a week.
The Best Growing Conditions For Plants in Wine Barrels
To grow the best plants for wine barrels, you will need the following growing conditions:
- Soil. The best type of soil is well-draining soil that has adequate nutrients, moisture, and drainage. Most soils used to grow plants do not contain the necessary nutrients for plants to thrive, and even those that do are usually deficient in one or more of the elements needed to produce healthy vines. You can add compost or organic fertilizer to your soil before planting your crops to add on the nutrients. You can also use a soil additive called Miracle-Gro to enhance the nutrition of your soil. It contains a number of essential nutrients that are important for plants to grow well.
- Water. A regular supply of water is important for plant growth and for maintaining healthy soil. The amount of water will vary by the type of plant.
- Temperature. The amount of sun will vary by plant, usually ranging from three to eight hours. If you live in an area where it gets too cold during the winter, you can supplement your plants’ natural light with artificial lighting.
- Fertilizer. Fertilizer can help your plants grow strong and healthy, but you don’t want to over-fertilize your plants. It is best to fertilize your plants when they are actively growing, and you should use a slow-release fertilizer that will not burn your plants or the environment.
Learn more about How to Store Soil?
Wine barrels are beautiful gardens that you can adopt and place strategically around your home. They are easy to care for and grow the best plants for wine barrels.
You can also use these barrels to store different products, such as grains, herbs, spices, coffee beans, and more.
Find more information about Top 15 Best Plants For Whiskey Barrels
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you plant vegetables in a wine barrel?
Yes! You can plant just about anything in a wine barrel, including root vegetables and some salad greens. A good idea would be to plant the roots first, then add the leaves. The barrel will keep the roots cool, but they’ll get more heat from the sun than they would if they were planted directly into the ground.
Can I grow tomatoes in wine barrels?
Yes, we’ve had some success with this. But it’s not as easy as it sounds. The most important thing to consider is what type of wine barrel you use. We have found that the best results are achieved with new French oak barrels. New French oak barrels are used to make Cognac and brandy. They are designed to hold about a litre of liquid.
Can you grow a lemon tree in a wine barrel?
Many gardeners have grown lemon trees in barrels for many years, and are happy with the results. We’ve even had some that became very large lemons. The key is to plant a good-sized seedling into a container first, then plant it in the wine barrel.
How do you grow an avocado tree in a wine barrel?
First, you will need to find a wine barrel that is large enough to hold the entire avocado tree and a few inches of soil. You can usually purchase a wine barrel at your local home improvement store. However, if you don’t want to spend the money, you can always buy a used barrel and clean it out with soap and water. Choose a dwarf avocado tree instead of the large one.
Can I grow a fig tree in a wine barrel?
A fig tree is a fruit tree that is not native to North America but can be grown here. It is a fast-growing tree that can reach up to 10 feet tall and has thick branches. Figs are an excellent choice for growing indoors, but they do require some light.